February 1, 2012- On Wednesday, the Afghan Taliban said they did not agree with a ceasefire demand made by the United States, as a condition to continue peace talks. The Taliban also would not make a comment about a report from the U.S. military that says the Taliban plan to take over the country once all foreign troops leave.
Last month the Taliban said they would open an office in Doha, the capital of Qatar, to handle political issues and to use for possible peace discussions with the U.S. However, NATO said in a memo leaked to the press, that the Taliban, who are backed by Pakistan, would retake control of the country when NATO forces leave in 2014.
The report, written by the U.S. military also said that the ISAF – International Security Assistance Force led by NATO was not aimed at being a strategic assessment. However, it could be looked upon as a way to blocking a return to power of the Taliban.
The leaked report could hurt the separate efforts by both the Afghan government and the U.S. to enter talks with Taliban leaders to end the war. The fear is it could cause fighting to start again as the traditional summer months for fighting approach.